Great Lakes Center for Children's Environmental Health
Website and/or Calendar Links
The Great Lakes Center for Children's Environmental Health was established in 1999 in partnership with the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Agency for Toxic Substance and Disease Registry (ATSDR) to promote and protect children's health through prevention, education, diagnosis and treatment of environmentally related diseases.
We are one of 10 Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSUs) across the country dedicated to children's environmental health issues. Our primary area of focus is Region 5, which includes the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin. A PEHSU has experts in pediatrics, toxicology, occupational and environmental medicine, reproductive health, and other specialties. PEHSUs are a source of medical information and advice on environmental exposures influence reproductive and children's health and work with an array of people, such as parents, schools, and state agencies, to address children's environmental health issues.
WHAT WE DO
Our team of health professionals encompass diverse areas of expertise including medical toxicology, pediatrics, occupational/environmental medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, and emergency medicine.
Our objectives are to:
- Serve as an information resource for health care professionals and the general public on children's environmental health issues
- Provide consultation to public health and environmental agencies
- Train pediatricians, environmental and occupational medicine physicians, medical toxicologists, and other health professionals
- Conduct research aimed at preventing children's environmental diseases
- Promote sound local, regional, and national policies that protect children's health and the environment and that promote environmental justice
- Provide clinical evaluation services for children and pregnant women with environmental illnesses or exposures
No address has been specified
Contact PageVisit Contact Page
Partners Outside the University of Illinois:
- Report old or inaccurate information
- Is this your program? You can update it.
The Great Lakes Center for Children's Environmental Health entry belongs to the University of Illinois at Chicago Community Engagement Portal. You may edit it there: