African Studies Outreach Program
Website and/or Calendar Links
The African Studies Outreach Program mounts and supports a variety of programs and resources. The African Studies Outreach Program serves the diverse interests.
- About African Studies Outreach Program: The missions and needs for learning about Africa
- K-12 Educators: Resources and opportunities to support the teaching of Africa
- Post-secondary Educators and Institutions: Programs to reach out to and engage post-secondary educators and institutions
- Media: Referral service and programs aiding the media's coverage of Africa
- Business: Information on trade and business relations
- Community: Programing for various organizations and the wider communities
The Center for African Studies' outreach mission is especially vital in today's global age--a time that promises and requires greater international understanding, cooperation and appreciation. Preparing a new generation of students as well as the broader community, represents a unique challenge that the Outreach Program gladly accepts. The Outreach Program is service-oriented, designed to increase public knowledge about Africa and also to enhance the understanding of African peoples and cultures. The African Studies Outreach Program is supported by funding from the U.S. Department of Education and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
There is a need as informed citizens to learn about and to appreciate the non-western world, especially Africa. Knowledge of Africa is essential to understanding the dynamics of international affairs. The Center for African Studies engages in educational outreach efforts in response to the growing interest in African cultures and society by K-12 educators, students, other university and college campuses, the media, the business community, community groups, governmental and non-governmental agencies, and the general public. The Outreach Program provides workshops, training, programming and resources for these constituents.