2017 Summer Illinois Math (SIM) Camp Delta
Date:Mon, 7/24/2017 - Fri, 7/28/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Classical Constructions: Learn to draw algebra
What can we do with a compass and a straightedge? These simple tools can be used to create shapes, do arithmetic and prove fun facts about geometry. This course will teach students geometry as the ancient Greeks saw it, using only tools that were available then.
Topological Invariants: How to know the answer in advance
Can a clay ball be deformed into a doughnut without cutting, pasting, or poking any holes? How many colors are needed to color a map of the U.S.? To find the answer to these questions, mathematicians study topological invariants. We will use topological invariants to describe these and other qualities of spaces.
- SIM Camp Delta is for students entering 9th through 12th grade in the fall who have taken at least a year of algebra.
- Visit the SIM Summer Camp website to apply.
- Applications will be available in early March. They will be due April 15.
- Department of Mathematics
- Illinois Student Chapter of the Association for Women in Mathematics
- Illinois Geometry Lab