Young Scholars Program - Summer 2017
Date:Mon, 7/3/2017 - Fri, 7/28/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign College of ACES invites graduating high school seniors who are former Research Apprentice Program (RAP) participants and from groups traditionally underserved in the math and science fields, who are incoming freshmen, to participate in the 2017 Young Scholars Program (YSP).
YSP is a summer and first-year academic experience provided for new freshmen pursuing an undergraduate program in the College of ACES. YSP provides academic experiences for new ACES majors during the summer to create a successful transition to Illinois and increase academic performance during their first year.
Students participate in a four-week intensive review of math, general chemistry, and writing skills essential to college success. Early peer counseling and career advising are additional components. All expenses, such as food, lodging, and books, are covered by the program.
Approximately 20-25 students will be accepted.
All YSP participants continue to participate in peer advising and skill development throughout the academic year. All students are assigned to a student mentor who monitors student performance and provides academic intervention if needed.
Only those freshmen who have accepted their admission offer into a College of ACES major will be invited to participate in this summer experience. Priority is given to former RAP participants. Early acceptance is important, as spaces in the program are limited and provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
Note: Invitations will be sent in the spring to admitted ACES students. You must accept the offer of ACES admission to participate in YSP.
What to Expect
- Special summer academic classes
- Food, lodging, and supplies provided over four-week summer session
- Special summer activities, both academic and socially enriching
- Special scholarships to support travel abroad, leadership, and research experiences during freshman and sophomore years
- Academic mentoring during school year by student mentors
- Tutoring and other academic assistance throughout school year
- College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences