GAMES 2017: Environmental Engineering and Sustainability
Date:Sun, 7/9/2017 - Sat, 7/15/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Girls’ Adventures in Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (GAMES) is an annual week-long camp, designed to give academically talented high school girls (rising 9th-12th graders) an opportunity to explore exciting engineering and scientific fields through demonstrations, classroom presentations, hands-on activities, and contacts with women in these technical fields.
GAMES presents an advanced curriculum, uses world-class instructional facilities, and provides an “away from home” experience at one of the best engineering schools in the world.
Enrollment in the program is limited to ensure the quality of the academic experience. GAMES has a selective admissions process based on academic performance, a written essay, and a teacher recommendation.
Visit the Camp Tracks webpage for full listing of available topics and options.
2017 Environmental Engineering and Sustainability Camp Track
The Environmental Engineering and Sustainability camp is all about understanding the interactions of humans and other living organisms with the atmospheric, terrestrial and aquatic environments. Such understanding helps Environmental Engineers design sustainable technological solutions to meet critical needs of the humans on Earth, such as, the need for clean air, the need for clean water, and the need for clean and renewable energy sources. Sustainable technological solutions developed by Environmental Engineers are contributing to protection of human health and the environment, so that future generations can enjoy a high quality of life.
Campers explore many of the exciting traditional and new topics within Environmental Engineering, such as:
- Sustainability and how the environment, culture, society, and economics are all linked
- Environmental pollutants and the biogeochemical cycles they follow as they move through the air, water and soil
- Climate change
- Renewable energy sources and energy efficiency
- Water resources and clean water technologies
- Water footprints
- Air quality management
These topics are covered through lectures, hands-on activities and team projects. Campers also go on field trips to further understand concepts within Environmental Engineering and Sustainability and to witness how these topics apply to the real world.
This year’s camp will include most of these topics and projects, but is subject to change.
Application & Cost:
- Eligibility: rising 9th-12th graders
- Cost: $1,000
- To apply: Visit the GAMES application website
- Please note: There are eight total GAMES Camp tracks to choose from. However, admissions is done on a first-completed, first-served basis, which means that your camp/topic of choice may be full at the time of your application’s consideration. If this happens, you will be placed on a waiting list for your first choice camp, and will be admitted to your second or third choice of camp, space permitting.
- Financial aid available for those who qualify.
- April 15, 2017 - Last day to submit applications (although they may be kept open if some camps are not full by this time)
- May 1, 2017 - Deadline for reserving your spot in the GAMES camp. Registration and non-refundable $50 deposit must be completed.
- May 31, 2017- Last day to submit full payment.