GAMES 2017: Bioengineering
Date:Sun, 7/9/2017 - Sat, 7/15/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Girls’ Adventures in Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (GAMES) is an annual week-long camp, designed to give academically talented high school girls (rising 9th-12th graders) an opportunity to explore exciting engineering and scientific fields through demonstrations, classroom presentations, hands-on activities, and contacts with women in these technical fields.
GAMES presents an advanced curriculum, uses world-class instructional facilities, and provides an “away from home” experience at one of the best engineering schools in the world.
Enrollment in the program is limited to ensure the quality of the academic experience. GAMES has a selective admissions process based on academic performance, a written essay, and a teacher recommendation.
Visit the Camp Tracks webpage for full listing of available topics and options.
2017 Bioengineering Camp Track
Bioengineering is all about modeling of systems, design of new technologies and devices for low cost, effective medical care. Bioengineers study and understand how complex biological systems work and how to design and construct medical devices, design better therapeutics, and solve big problems facing society. Last year’s camp explored many of the exciting new topics within engineering, such as:
- Cell and Tissue Engineering
- Biomechanics and Prosthetics
- Imaging and Sensing
- Therapeutics Engineering
- Computational and Systems Biology
These topics are covered through lectures, hands-on activities and team projects. Some hands-on activities and projects that campers are involved in include:
- Cell culture of mammalian cells
- Motion capture biomechanics
- Analysis of biomimetic materials
- Creating genetic models
- Building biomedical instrumentation
This year’s camp will include most of these topics and projects, but is subject to change.
Application & Cost:
- Eligibility: rising 9th-11th graders
- Cost: $1,000
- To apply: Visit the GAMES application website
- Please note: There are eight total GAMES Camp tracks to choose from. However, admissions is done on a first-completed, first-served basis, which means that your camp/topic of choice may be full at the time of your application’s consideration. If this happens, you will be placed on a waiting list for your first choice camp, and will be admitted to your second or third choice of camp, space permitting.
- Financial aid available for those who qualify.
- April 15, 2017 - Last day to submit applications (although they may be kept open if some camps are not full by this time)
- May 1, 2017 - Deadline for reserving your spot in the GAMES camp. Registration and non-refundable $50 deposit must be completed.
- May 31, 2017- Last day to submit full payment.
- GAMES 2017: Environmental Engineering and Sustainability
- GAMES 2017: Girls Building Awesome Machines (GBAM)
- GAMES 2017: Girls Learning About Materials (GLAM)
- GAMES 2017: Girls Learning Electrical Engineering (GLEE)
- GAMES 2017: Chemical Engineering
- GAMES 2017: Aerospace Engineering
- GAMES 2017: Computer Science