GAMES 2017: Chemical Engineering
Date:Sun, 6/18/2017 - Sat, 6/24/2017
Event Type:Summer Camp
Website and/or Calendar Links
Girls’ Adventures in Mathematics, Engineering, and Science (GAMES) is an annual week-long camp, designed to give academically talented high school girls (rising 9th-12th graders) an opportunity to explore exciting engineering and scientific fields through demonstrations, classroom presentations, hands-on activities, and contacts with women in these technical fields.
GAMES presents an advanced curriculum, uses world-class instructional facilities, and provides an “away from home” experience at one of the best engineering schools in the world.
Enrollment in the program is limited to ensure the quality of the academic experience. GAMES has a selective admissions process based on academic performance, a written essay, and a teacher recommendation.
Visit the Camp Tracks webpage for full listing of available topics and options.
2017 Chemical Engineering Camp Track
Chemical engineering is a discipline that is organized around producing useful materials by combining ideas from science and mathematics. In most cases, a chemical engineer takes a scientific process or discovery and engineers it so that it can be made on a large scale. This makes the products produced by these processes more affordable. Because chemical engineers make food, clothes, power, medicines, and plastic on a large scale, they are cheaper for all of us! Last year’s camp explored many of the exciting new topics within Chemical engineering, such as:
- Polymers, Catalysis Reaction, Imaging of Cell Migration, and Bio-transportation, etc.
- Unit Operations: Distillation/Separations, Extruder, and Bioreactor
- Refractometer & Refractive index
These topics are covered through lectures, hands-on activities and team projects. Some hands-on activities and projects that campers may be involved in included:
- Imaging of Cell Migration Activity
- Hydrogel activity
- Shower gel activity
- Utilization of Distillation, Extruder and Bioreactor equipment
Campers also go on field trips to further understand concepts within chemical engineering and to witness how these topics apply to the real world.
This year’s camp will include most of these topics and projects, but is subject to change.
Application & Cost:
- Eligibility: rising 9th-12th graders
- Cost: $1,000
- To apply: Visit the GAMES application website
- Please note: There are eight total GAMES Camp tracks to choose from. However, admissions is done on a first-completed, first-served basis, which means that your camp/topic of choice may be full at the time of your application’s consideration. If this happens, you will be placed on a waiting list for your first choice camp, and will be admitted to your second or third choice of camp, space permitting.
- Financial aid available for those who qualify.
- April 15, 2017 - Last day to submit applications (although they may be kept open if some camps are not full by this time)
- May 1, 2017 - Deadline for reserving your spot in the GAMES camp. Registration and non-refundable $50 deposit must be completed.
- May 31, 2017- Last day to submit full payment.
- GAMES 2017: Environmental Engineering and Sustainability
- GAMES 2017: Bioengineering
- GAMES 2017: Girls Building Awesome Machines (GBAM)
- GAMES 2017: Girls Learning About Materials (GLAM)
- GAMES 2017: Girls Learning Electrical Engineering (GLEE)
- GAMES 2017: Aerospace Engineering
- GAMES 2017: Computer Science