Probation Officer Training
Website and/or Calendar Links
The Institute for Legal and Policy Studies conducts projects and programs that contribute to the understanding and improvement of the legal system and executive branch of government in ways accessible to scholars, policymakers, practitioners, and the general public.
Over the years the Institute has become known for its work in developing training and educational programs for members of the court, including the judiciary, state’s attorneys and prosecutors and probation officers. Its long-standing training programs in the adult and juvenile probation fields and with DUI assessment and risk education demonstrate the Institute’s commitment to the development of partnerships and customized training programs with public and private agencies.
The Institute has broadened its focus to include the development and implementation of curriculum based programs in an online format, offering credit bearing and non credit bearing courses. The application of technology, including online delivery, multimedia formats, and distance learning approaches, for professional certification, expanded service delivery and information dissemination throughout the state.
If you would like to have more information about the training opportunities available through the Institute or would like to explore beginning or expanding an existing program, please contact the Institute at 217-206-6343 and ask for one of the training directors.
Examples of Professional Development and Training:
- Basic training for probation and detention personnel outside of Cook County
- Customized DUI seminars for prosecutors and probation officers regarding the practices and sanctions used in working with DUI offenders
- Statewide training of over 350 addictions counselors on problem and compulsive gambling
- Certified Economic Development Program study workshop
- Development and implementation of on-line courses for the Illinois Department of Human Services
- Mandated DUI and Risk Education training programs for DUI evaluators
- Institute for Legal, Legislative and Policy Studies